Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Food Time!

Recently I have been put on certain restrictions to make me healthy. As a result, I've received a list of foods that, I am told, I am sensitive to.

Amidst that longer-than-expected list of foods I eat on a regular basis, were tomato and wheat. So this evening, I was on a quest to make a pizza sans both of those ingredients. Which was a slightly daunting task, being that I tend to judge a pizza on the sauce and the crust. But, always up for an excuse to make up something new in the kitchen, I decided to go a completely different direction taste wise. So for those of you who like to try new things, I have documented the process.

The crust was obtained at Whole Foods - a gluten free creation made up of Tapioca and White Bean - in a frozen section specializing in non-wheat products. Not incredibly glamorous sounding, I know, but I was hoping that it would do the job.

From the fridge I grabbed a some ricotta, fresh mozarella, onion, yellow squash, and orange and red bell peppers. Grilled veg is always delicious, so I thought this would be a good way to do something different, with the squash giving the pizza a heartiness worthy of dinner.

Ricotta is a bit bland without seasoning so I rummaged through the spices in my pantry and came up with cumin, oregano (regrettably, dried oregano, not fresh, as I long ago killed that plant), and of course, some freshly ground salt.

Using the grill pan, coated with a touch of olive oil to prevent sticking, I grilled all the veg. Easy easy way to make veg delicious.

Posted by Picasa


While I was watching the vegetables cook, I got to work on a balsamic reduction. Having never done a reduction before, at least not on purpose, I overdid it a bit - which resulted in more of a balsamic caramel than a drizzle. Hopefully this would be salvageable.

 
Posted by Picasa


Once the veg was done, I threw a couple of dollups of the ricotta mixture on the crust, several slices of the fresh mozz, squash, peppers, onions, and tossed it in the oven at 350. Part way through the cooking process, I figured J would want some kind of meat on his pizza, so I took cut up some smoked ham and tossed it on during the last 5 minutes.

When the pizza was done, I finished it with the balsamic "caramel", which turned back to a nice glaze when it met with the heat of the pizza.

The end result? It was actually really tasty.

 
Posted by Picasa


The next time I make it, I would opt for fresh herbs (oregano and basil) and a nice pancetta in lieu of ham. And I wouldn't overdo the reduction.

Listening to whilst cooking: the 80's station on the TV

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks really good!

The crust looks totally normal. Did it taste normal?

(By the way, what's wrong with wheat and tomato?)

That second photo... was that taken with your 50/1.8 lens? :)

amber said...

The crust actually tasted fine! I was expecting it to be really tough and dry.

(I don't really know what's "wrong" with wheat and tomato, just that I tested sensitive to them - my body doesn't like them :( )

And yes, that second photo was taken with the 50/1.8 lens.

Anonymous said...

YUMMERS! I'm off to whole foods to get me some GF crust. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm on my post-kiddie break at work...so nice to read your blog again! Cool-new camera! (wow, sandhill cranes in your front yard...)And hey, I'd eat your pizza...and way to go on training for 5-k!! believe it or not, it's humid in Arizona right now too...You and J. should come out and run a 5-k out here! I'll train for it too...--J. in Tucson

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ everyone that pizza looked scrumptious! You sound like you should have your own cooking show w/ all those terms you threw out....reduction, etc. wow!!