Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Gym Revisited...

So I bet you can guess what I did this morning.

Yep. That's right. As promised, I returned to the gym.

After failing to find any gyms close to my house (other than a Bally's in the ghetto and Curves, which apparently is targeted to obese unemployed women) I decided that I would try a gym that I already have a membership with by my office. I have never actually set foot in this gym, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. But I decided that rather than waiting until I got around to stopping by to inspect, I would just get up early and go.

The getting up early part was suprisingly easy this morning. I am pretty sure that had something to do with the window cover that mysteriously dislodged itself late last night, allowing a bright stream of light to enter directly over the bed this morning. It's as if it knew that I needed to get to the gym. (Dude, does that mean my house just called me fat?!)

When I arrived at the gym, I noticed that there was a definite difference between this gym and the last one I frequented. The woman to man ratio had changed drastically. As I go to the gym to work out, not look pretty, I like for my gym to have a high female population, preferably females of assorted shapes and sizes.

There were ZERO women working out this morning. The only women that were there were annoyingly thin and blonde employees. Blech.

On the plus side, there was no one in the cardio area. Evidently, the men that work in this gym don't believe in sissy machines. And, while the women's locker room was TINY with only two showers, it seemed a lot bigger with no one to share it with.

The workout itself went fairly well, considering the long break I have had from that kind of early morning physical activity. It felt good enough to actually want to go again tomorrow.

So hopefully, this new gym will bring with it some new and interesting stories.

A moment of silence observed for Clappy. (pour a 40, ya'll)


Listening to: Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
Currently Reading: The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs - really like this book so far...this guys writes the way I think a LOT
Just Finished Reading: In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - thanks to the guy who bought me my first Bryson book...if you want to know about Australia, this is an entertaining way to learn a lot about the place

This post has been brought to you by: My new MacBook!! Thanks to a desire to get my Ipod to work consistently and my weakness for Mac ads , I have now wandered away from the world of the PC over to my long lost love Apple. My intial introduction to programming was on an Apple (that was 16 years ago!)..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

greetings from Nicaragua, you gym-goer you...keep it up! we gotta do the same when we get back to Gringolandia, alas...

amber said...

Woo hoo! My blog is so international :)

I am excited about you guys coming back...although since coming back doesn't make you any closer, I'm not sure why.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new guy filled gym. this should be fodder for many an interesting blog. :)

I've taken to doing one jog a week in the AM. The people I see are bikers in various degrees of spandex, and fellow joggers. My game is to see if any will make eye contact. The really spandexy ones rarely do. :D

Eden

amber said...

Ah...spandex. Eye contact is about the only thing I CAN make with people who wear it. It's either eye contact or look in the complete opposite direction.

Anonymous said...

hhmm, lets see, i KNOW im blonde.....but i cant help but wonder if im 'annoyingly' thin? :)

Ahhh, the spandex bulge. Its like a car wreck, i just have to slow down and look.

Crystal

amber said...

In all honesty, if I didn't know (and love!) you, yes, you would be in the annoyingly thin and blonde category.

Fortunately, all you have to do is speak to prove that you don't belong lumped in among the rest of them.

You are a credit to your hair color.

Anonymous said...

(Crystal bows)
Thank you...thank you very much.