Saturday, December 30, 2006

Up in the Gym, Workin' on my Fid'ness...

Goal one of the Technology Diet has been met! (---> insert crowd cheers here)

Actually, I met the goal over a week ago. But I finally rewarded myself last night with a congratulatory haircut. As the first goal was a mere five pounds, I still have a far too round (ahem, fat) face to wear short hair, so I just had my hair trimmed and layered a bit.

Today, I gave myself a bonus reward. Not a "bonus reward", as in a reward in addition to the already planned haircut, but a "bonus" reward, something I purchased with my year end bonus.

A new cookbook!!! (yes, yes, I am a dork)

The book is "Nigella Bites" by Nigella Lawson, a cook I saw on the Food Network. This is a woman who has my life. Or at least the kind of work life I wish I had.

She's actually an English journalist, who in the states is best known for her appearance on the TV show Nigella Bites, and her series of cookbooks. This woman has managed to combine the two things I love - food and writing - and make a living out of it. Since my father isn't a person of influence (her dad is some sort of important politician - my ignorance of British politics is amazing) I have not yet figured out how I could do the same.

So in the meantime, I continue on at my normal every day way of making a living. And working on my fitness.

Rock. Rock.


Currently Cooking: Double Potato and Feta Bake - from my new cookbook. This dish is, and I quote, "so upliftingly beautiful to look at: real good-mood colors". Sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, red onions, red and yellow pepper...mmmmm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we get to see a picture? The idea of layers sounds nice on you.

(And congrats again on meeting your goal!)

amber said...

I'll have to get Linds to take a photo (I always look horrible in pictures unless she is taking them...)

Hope your trip back was pleasantly uneventful. It was so great having you guys here - miss you already!

J. Cyr said...

Nigella!! Believe it or not, S. and I got to know about her while in Nicaragua--watching Cooking shows DUBBED IN SPANISH...But her TV show can get a bit over the top, no? I mean, she goes on and on about 'massaging the tomatoes' and the sensual aspects etc...
HAVE FUN COOKING!!!
S. and I bought a fitness ball/band/dvd pkg on sale at Barnes and Noble tonight...before having dinner (with dessert!!!) at Il Fornaio in Pacific Place downtown (remember?)...ahh...does that count for something?

Anonymous said...

congrats on the goal, the haircut and the new cookbook! :) What fun! I'm jealous of anybody that gets to cook for a living in some place other than the high stress, profanity riddled, hell that is your typical restaurant kitchen. A TV set with beautiful dishes and a pantry the size of a small country... now that's living!
E