Monday, November 06, 2006

Weight a minute....

Day 1:

Me eat good.

But really, I didn't once break down and hit the office bag of Doritos, or bucket of candy. And despite the amazing smell of homemade pumpkin cookies (made from an actual pumpkin) filling the air in my house at the moment, I haven't eaten one. Willpower tastes like...ummm...ice water, I think.

Exercise went a little differently than I originally planned. The idea was to get up at 6:00 am and hit the elliptical before work. Unfortunately, a late night fight with a coughing fit that was only won with the assistance of a healthy (or not so healthy) dose of Nyquil made 6:00 am a rather impossible feat. I still got up early enough to eat breakfast (organic shredded wheat in organic lowfat milk), so at least I succeeded in one part of my morning plan.

When I arrived home, I knew that I needed to exercise some, otherwise I would feel like my new plan had failed before it started. So out came the DDR mat. Dancing around with the the game's voice telling me that I was "no ordinary man" (uh thanks) and that I had "smooth moves" was just as good as having some personal trainer at a gym count reps for me.

Prior to working out, I weighed myself for the first time (for the spreadsheet of course). 179 pounds. (Did I not mention that I am actually going to give you guys weights and measurements? More accountablility - and seeing the numbers in print makes me more adamant about changing things.)

After lots of dancing, which was a LOT of fun, the screen told me that I had burned 400 calories. Woo-hoo!! I jumped back on the scale, just to be funny to find...that I had gained 2.5 pounds since before I started working out. I believe this has to be the fastest weight gain in the history of...well...I don't know. I took a shower, came back downstairs, and stepped on the scale again. Still the same.

Nuts.

This 5 pound goal is going to be harder than I thought...

Listening to: Jamie Oliver talking on the TV. I love him.
Current Mood: A bit tired, actually. And wicked thirsty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before you know it you'll be signing a publishing deal for "The DDR weightloss plan" it will be full of antidotes about which songs are the most motivating, which brands of vitamin water are easiest to clean off of the old dance mat... you'll be famous, independantly wealthy, and Fabulous. (What am I saying? You're already fabulous!)
E

Anonymous said...

I agree with E. This is the next fitness craze. Write a book and make bajillions.

amber said...

Thanks! I thought about that as well. That would be pretty hilarious...

When I'm on Oprah bustin' a move I will be sure to thank you both. ;)

Anonymous said...

oh, if you get oprah on board, you'll be SET! I can just see you getting her on the mat, "now O, if you do this with your arms above your heart, you'll burn about 20% more calories, and finally shed that last 20 lb. Won't that look good on the cover of your magazine!"
E