Thursday, August 18, 2005

If My Blog Were a Child...

...social services would have been called. Sorry I have been neglecting the blog as of late.

I purchased a cd the other night while wasting some time at Borders. Borders has been a hang out of sorts for me since my teenage years. It has a calming effect on me. Fight with my parents? I headed to Borders. Boy trouble? You'd find me sipping a latte', writing in a journal and contemplating why I hated men. Bored? Yup. Same place. When I was living in Seattle, I did this a bit less, since there are so many other book stores to choose from, and there seemed to be something wrong with going to the big chain book store rather than the small independently owned ones. (Think Fox Books v. The Shop Around the Corner in "You've Got Mail")

But here I am, back in Florida, where the chain store rules. And being that I live 2 minutes away from a Borders, I have returned to my old ways.

As I browsed the music section for the second time, I picked up Alanis Morrisette's "new" cd. She re-released "Jagged Little Pill", a cd she first released 10 years ago. This time, the whole thing has been redone acoustically. I was a big fan of this cd 10 years ago. I have fond memories of driving to the Physics Olympics listening to this one. I was 16 when it came out, so listening to these songs remind me of the many things going on in my teenage life. It reminds me of skipping Spanish class. It reminds me of a guy on the golf team who complained about my lack of interest in him while he was drunk at a party, then later yelled at me because one of my friends upset one of "his golfers" the day of a match (Is that what they call it in golf?). It reminds me of wishing I was older and done with the nonsense of high school.

Since the cd has been redone acoustically, it has a slightly different sound. It is more mature and, to me, more powerful. I miss the old one, but I also love the new one. Which reminds me that I too am more mature, and that on some days, I miss the nonsense of being a teenager, but at the same time I am pleased with what 10 years has done to me as a person.

It also makes me think that perhaps I analyze things too much, and that my brain needs to go on vacation one of these days :).

In other news, we are currently planning a trip to see our friends in Nicaragua in November, so I am working on my Spanish. I have three months to accomplish quite a bit, so don't be surprised if I bust out with a little Espanol on the blog.


Quote of the Day: "POO!" ~exclaimed by a friend who is going with us on the Nicaragua trip - this was his way of expressing excitement
Clip of the Day: This one is a tie between two singers on the Rock Star:INXS reality show. (Yes, I started watching it....stop judging!) Check our Marty and MiG's performances. http://rockstar.msn.com/video/performance/wk06


Currently Listening to: The Ballad of Booth from Assasins (Broadway Play) sung by Victor Garber (he is the man, ya'll)
Current Mood: Excited about planning our trip!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It reminds me of a guy on the golf team who complained about my lack of interest in him while he was drunk at a party, then later yelled at me because one of my friends upset one of "his golfers" the day of a match (Is that what they call it in golf?). It reminds me of wishing I was older and done with the nonsense of high school."

Yeah we had some idiots there... Retroactive sorries for having to deal with that. Not all golfers are that stupid.

jad3

amber said...

...And then there were the good guys that would feel the need to apologize for other people years after the fact. :)

It was interesting to learn how quickly someone could go from telling you how great they thought you were to acting like they hated you. It prepared me for later in life.

I have to admit though, I have a top ten list of qualifications for a man that a friend of mine and I made for me years ago...number 7 I believe was "No Golfers". :)