Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Home Work

The joys of working from the comfort of your own home office. Of course, this only happens when I am ill, so comfort is subjective, but still.

I am sitting cross legged in a desk chair doing buyer support and listening to Phantom of the Opera, dressed in pink striped pajama pants and one of my little brothers t-shirts. No makeup, messy hair. Actually, aside from the striped pajama pants, this is not all that different from an "in the office" work day. Still, there are definite advantages to working from home.

No flourescent lighting is a biggie. Besides not be able to spell them, those lights kill my head when I am not feeling well.

Being able to lay down when you feel dizzy. The past two days at work the room spun several times. Putting your head on your desk doesn't really do much.

Access to water and healthy snacks. I haven't been good about stocking the work fridge with things I like (can) eat. So when I am thirsty, I end up drinking soda (we keep Zephyrhills water in our fridge, which makes me ill) and snacking on whatever happens to be there. Home means access to soup, tea, and water that doesn't make me nauseous.

Not answering the phone is also nice, especially this week, since it would seem that everyone calling our office has lost their mind. I have been yelled at, falsely accused, endured "man-crying" (I think I would have rather been screamed at), and an assortment of other delights. The drawback of living in an age of technologically advanced communication seems to be that people forget how to be polite. If you don't have to see the face of the person you are screaming at, it becomes much easier to treat them as if they weren't a person with feelings. (I don't exactly go home crying, but you can only take so much abuse in a day. On especially trying days I try to warn my husband before I get home, as my usually high level of patience is worn to almost non-existence by time I get home.)

So, aside from the nausea, dizziness, pain, and other details you don't need, I am quite comfortable today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better. :)

But I am glad you are at least cozy!