Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Useless Information In My Head

It is already February. I still haven't quite caught up to the shift in year yet.

Did you know that February was the last month to be added to the Roman calendar? Evidently, they considered the winter to be "monthless" and March began their year. (If you live in Seattle, winter does seem monthless, so I can understand this reasoning.) That is why we have September, October, November, December (7th, 8th, 9th, 10th months).

January and February were added later, January being named for Janus, a two faced god of gates and doors, beginnings and endings, while February was named for the god Februus, the Etruscan god of purification, who incidentally, hung out in the underworld. Februus got a promotion (not sure how that happens...) and became God of the Underworld, or Pluto and then later somehow melded with some Greek ideas and became the goddess of purity and love and all that. So February had a festival for this goddess, which is where Valentine's Day has roots.

Interesting, no? ("Um, yeah. No.")

All those years of studying Roman history in Latin class, gotta let that info out sometime.


In other news...I think I am gearing up for another run at going to the gym regularly. I have noticed that I lost some weight (cause my jeans are more comfortable than usual) and thought I should run with the accidental progress.

Well, maybe not "run" exactly, but perhaps some nice cross training.

And now, for a list of random things from the past week:

Overheard in a grocery store:
Mom to Little Son: "No honey, we have yogurt at home already."
Son (very matter of factly): "But this is GOgurt. Its better."
Proof that marketing works.

Favorite celebrity couple: Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy - saw them on the S.A.G awards (yes, I watched them because I am a dork) and they are so cute...and actually have talent.

Most creepy celebrity child: Dakota Fanning. I don't know what it is, but she creeps me out. Something in the eyes. Everyone else thinks she is cute - maybe there is something wrong with me.

Weirdest dream: I had a dream a few evenings ago that I had heart surgery. It was exploratory. Evidently, to figure out what is wrong with me, they needed to cut my heart in half and then switch sides so they could look inside. (If you have ever seen The Cell [I saw it on TV], there is a scene where a horse gets chopped into slices and you can see all his organs functioning...it looked like that). As if this procedure was not odd enough, I was having it performed in the portable at my old elementary school that used to be the room where I met for art class. Way weird.

Most disturbing exercise trend: Bosu. Just look at it. Ummm....yeah.

Cute unexpected movie: My Date with Drew. Warning: If you hate Drew Barrymore, don't watch this documentary. I however, like her, so I thought it was cute.

Movie I Couldn't Finish: Fever Pitch. Maybe if you are in love with baseball you will enjoy the movie. I just could not get interested enough to finish watching it. Which is pretty bad, cause I will watch some pretty dull stuff, just to see how it ends.


The blog has been rather pictureless lately, because my sister has my camera. When she returns it (AHEM) I'll post some photos. :)

Currently Reading: The book I am writing. And the New York Times.
Currently Listening to: I Was Made To Love You by Polly Paulusma (check out this song - I love it!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Reeves would be proud.
2. Bosu? How about wiggle jiggle?
3. Ahem! Picture time!

jad3

amber said...

Hee-hee. Amazing what I retained in a classroom that has a futon in the back. He would probably be amazed that I paid that much attention....

Wiggle Jiggle?? Do tell....

And yes, it is picture time. AHEM. Camera please. :)

amber said...

Riley is a cute dog - so I can't blame you.

Free hutch you say? Hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

sooo happy to hear there are other GG's fans...you know given the fact that you're family is from Connecticut and the rampant fast fire wittiness that flies thru the family, you really could be a member of the Gilmores.

Dee

Anonymous said...

What is your book about? Fition or non-fiction?
Jessica

amber said...

Fictional...I'll probably tell everyone a little more about it later....but it is difficult to explain it at present.

I know. I am so mysterious :).

amber said...

CHALLENGE! (said in the style of that old tap dancing dude on an episode of The Cosby Show)

You are so on. Of course, I could still enlist Tamara for help on "Tiny Hands". Then you would SO be buying me a coke.

Anonymous said...

CAMERA!!! I call for camera!!! Either that or pictures of the dog!!!

Might I recommend crumpets with the tea?

Anonymous said...

oh...and wiggle jiggle cause Bosu just doesn't sound right for that type of activity... :)

amber said...

Hee hee...wiggle jiggle.

I plan to get my camera back this week - I have been told it is filled with pictures of the doggie.

In the meantime, if you would like to see cool pics, check out http://luminouslens.baltiblogs.com/ - my sister in law takes awesome photos.

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing over Lindsey calling Patty "Emily Gilmore"... that's just too dang funny!
Eden