Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oh, Crap!

Saturday we moved my sister and her husband into our house. They will be staying with us for a few months while they find a new place of their own. Their apartment complex was raising their rent by about $400 a month, so staying there was not a very good option.

The move went smoothly, so we were all trying to relax a bit after a very long day. I heard the toilet running in the master bathroom, which was odd, as no one had recently used that toilet. I yelled to my husband to confirm this was the case.

"I haven't used it."

Hmmm. I walked into the bathroom to inspect the running, and noticed the water in the toilet appeared to be rising. Not a good sign. As I turned around, hoping that our plunger made it to the house in the move, I noticed that there was water coming up into the tub from the drain. I leaned closer and stumbled back when I realized what I was looking at. And smelling. I opened the shower to see the same "stuff" coming out of the drain there.

Crap, I thought. Literally.

I walked out of the room to hear my sister yelling about the stench filling up her side of the house. Her tub was filling up as well.

Not good.

My husband made several phone calls, while my sister and I hung out in the jacuzzi outside. (Hey, it was a good place to escape the smell.) Our time in the jacuzzi was cut short when we were sent to track down a wrench to open some sort of emergency valve. We threw some clothes on over our bathing suits and knocked on a couple of neighbors doors. No answer.

We remembered that someone we knew used to live not too far away, so we called information, and showed up at their door, wet from the jacuzzi, begging for a wrench.

We returned home with the wrench and dinner plans for the following weekend. The wrench, unfortunately, was of no help.

The Roto Rooter man finally arrived, and fixed what was evidently a clog in our septic tank. As soon as he did this, the crap water receded. I sprayed an excessive amount of tub cleaner in both bathrooms and lit a bunch of candles.

Happily, we are now back to a normal smelling life.


Currently Listening to: My husband making fun of my sister
Current Mood: Full! Yummy steak for dinner. Sooooo goood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you have a puppy now? How's the dog getting along with the kitties?

amber said...

Riley and the cats are getting along well enough. I mean, they aren't exactly having tea parties together, but they aren't killing each other either, so that's good.

Riley's herding instincts are kicking in though. She likes to round up the cats and "herd" them into the house when they are all playing outside. :)