Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Reason #87 I Can't Have Kids....

Our cats have for most of their lives been indoor cats. When we adopted them, it was strongly recommended for the sake of their health. Since we lived in townhouses and apartments, this worked out well, since I didn't think a parking lot was a very inviting place for them to play.

When we moved into the house, we started letting them go outside. They loved it, so we would let them stay out all day. It made them happy, so I figured, what's the harm?

I am a bad pet owner.




Sasha came home last night with this very unpleasant looking wound. The picture is much tamer than how it appeared in real life. (The way she is laying down there it appears smaller than it is)

So last night we spent our evening cleaning and dressing the wound. She spent the night in the dog crate, so she couldn't wander off and take off her bandage. This morning I took her to the vet first thing, to find out how much damage had been done.

The 2" X 4" wound was thankfully superficial. Whatever she managed to slice herself on, she only sliced through skin. So she was intubated, sedated, and stapled back together.

For the two weeks, she will look like this:



She has to keep that Elizabethean collar on for two weeks, to prevent her from taking out these staples.


Posted by Picasa
Every time I walk by her cage I feel so horrible. I can't imagine how I would feel if the wound had been more serious.

Can you imagine how nuts I would be if it were a kid?

Sheesh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Glad she's going to be ok though! Don't blame yourself - cats get into things and like you said, she was very happy playing outside. I wonder what happened though?

amber said...

At first we all thought she must have been in a fight. But, on closer examination, one of the vet's assistants thinks she must have cut herself on some sort of blade or sharp edge (walking under/through things she shouldn't).

Whatever it was, I hope she doesn't ever run into it again.

Anonymous said...

NOTICE:
Your name has been removed as possible cat sitter while owner is in Italy.
You may resubmit an application at a future time if so desired.

Your poor little kitty. Its so sad. :(
Although my cats make a mad dash for the front door when it opens i still keep them trapped inside because im afraid of what could happen to them outside. Am i over protective or just a control freak? Either way, the kids have to stay inside.
Hope your kitty is better soon.

By the way......love the house!!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

DUDE! PLEASE BLOG SOMETHING!!! I can't handle checking your blog and seeing this picture every day! I work with computers for a reason!

Thanks in advance.

jad3

Anonymous said...

POOOOOR baby! (both you and the kitty) I'd be so upset if that were my little one. Tell her that she looks fetching in her collar. I'm sure it'll make her day.

I can't have kids either. Four days traveling with my friends' kids and I'm ready to have my tubes tied.
Eden

amber said...

Yes, yes, I am understand being barred from a cat sitter option. Completely understandable.

And now, I am off to post something so "the tenth letter of the alphabet" doesn't have to be grossed out another day. :)