Friday, February 25, 2005

I Hate You So Much Right Now

No - not you.

With all the time my sister and I have been spending together lately, we end up reminiscing about the past here and there. The other night, we were discussing the first person that breaks your heart, and how you never fully get over that. Don't get me wrong, we weren't saying that you continue to mourn over the loss. You just continue to derive some sick joy whenever something goes wrong for them. Unhealthly? Yes. But honest.

That conversation started me thinking about the best songs to play when you have had a nasty breakup, or are thinking about that person who hurt you.

Gravel by Ani Difranco: You can't be a bitter yet empowered female without a little Ani Difranco. The juxtaposition of I abhor/I adore perfectly encompasses that feeling early on in the end of a relationship (and sometimes during).

Your House (hidden track) by Alanis Morrisette: I know, I know. The obvious choice by Alanis would have been "You Oughta Know", and as much fun as it is to scream that song when you are angry, it wasn't my top choice. This song is for the stalker in all of us. For that brief period when you are alone in your room, and can finally admit that you are not just angry, but really sad and miss him. Sad enough to break into his house and take stuff. Sad, and just a little creepy.

I Will Survive by Cake: Yes, I am aware that this song was originally done before Cake (was Gloria Gaynor the first?) but there is something more convincing about the Cake version. I mean, he really doesn't sing. He just talks in a melodic way. Nothing says I couldn't care less about you anymore than not even bothering to sing the song.

Cheers Darlin' by Damien Rice: I wish this had been around long ago. Bitterness while in attendance on their special day is classy.

Caught Out There by Kelis: Long before her milkshake brought all the boys to the yard, she was a very angry girl. Screaming is cathartic. Particularly while driving. And throwing things at people.

You Are Nothing by Olive: It's very comforting when you finally can say you are better off and its the other person who is missing out in the end. (I especially enjoy a song that can use the term "laissez-faire")

I am sure there are many that I am missing, but those were the first to come to mind. What are your favorite "end-of-relationship" songs?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"i hate everything about you" by Ugly Kid Joe
i wouldnt say my favorite but it serves a good purpose. anything with 'hate' and 'you' will pretty much do it. however i am still waiting for the lyrics of 'stab stab stab' to make an apperance in some song.

crystal

Anonymous said...

as always my good friend Crystal has found a way to put violence into her commentary...

Thanks Ambs for the convo yesterday it helped me get over the rough spot. Yet I don't feel a need to hate the person...cuz I don't. So therefore sorry to say I have nothing to contribute on this subject.

Dee

Anonymous said...

totally agree w/the cake song...it was great for me...sang it in karaoke @ a wedding (he was in attendance). it was great. also..."get out" by jojo, love the way she screams "leave!"