Thursday, February 17, 2005

Weirdest Telephone Solicitation to date...

In my office I have two numbers that ring at my desk. One number is the line that anyone who actually is supposed to be calling the office calls in on. It has a California area code and is not listed here in Florida. The other one is a local number here in Florida. Most calls that come in on this line are solicitations. I still answer this line since we use it as a backup number, but 9 calls out of 10 end very arubtly.

This time I picked up the phone to this: "You know Michael Jackson was messed up from the beginning, growing up on the West Coast. West Coast fools be jacked up. You see his hair back in tha' day? He was already becoming a woman...."

The MJ monologue continued and then there was a pause.

"Hello. Would you be interested in Sprint services?"

Normally, I say no, or just hang up before solicitors can expect to get a response. But instead I just laughed and said something to the effect of, "buh-wah?*"

The man then started to tell me about Snoop Doggs hair. I wasn't sure what kind of new sales pitch Sprint was trying, but I have to admit that they did have my attention.

"You want yo' own website?"

"Ummm...no, I'm fine."

"I'm sure, but that wasn't what I asked. Don't you want a free website?"

"Don't need one, but thanks."

"Awww...you just wanna talk about Snoop some more, huh?"

"Not really, but I enjoyed listening, thanks."

"Next time I'm chargin' for it. Ha ha! Be good, mami (pronounced much like mommy)."

Click.

Best sales pitch. Ever.


*buh-wah - an exclamation that comes out when you have no intention of saying anything but the shock and confusion results in some sort of sound

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its ok. im on a diet too and i need to lose around 20 pounds for personal happiness (and so shirts look good on me again >_<). Exercise yay!