Monday, September 12, 2005

I'm OK With That

The latest in what is going on:

Last week I found my lost passport (yay!) and sent it off with the appropriate paper work for a name change (my passport still had my maiden name on it). I will be booking our flight to Nicaragua sometime this week. This also means that I need to find a doctor (haven't found one here in FL yet) so I can get some immunizations and such before I head down there.

Last week also brought with it the rebirth of actually using that gym membership I pay for. Suprisingly, I didn't die when face to face with the elliptical as I suspected I would. I haven't been sleeping very well lately, so I figure getting back to excercising regularly may help with that.

Ants have found their way into my apartment, so my project for today (among other things) has been getting rid of them. I purchased a cinnamon broom that I plan on breaking into pieces and dispersing throughout the place, as I have read that ants despise cinnamon. I love cinnamon, so that seems like a good idea. In addition, I have just finished pouring some sort of ant-death-powder all over the carpets and will be vacuuming it up shortly. Note to self: Next time wear socks. My feet are starting to itch from walking over where I powdered.

Tommorrow, I have an interview. ("But Amber, we all thought you enjoyed your unemployed status...sitting at home watching reruns of 24 and ER and eating Bon-bons....") It's for a freelance writing job, which would mean I could continue my non-scheduled lifestyle AND get paid. So I figure I will give it a shot. My chances are slim, considering my lack of paid experience in the field o' writing, but hey, chances were slim I would get an interview, so we shall see what happens.

10 more days until my dining room table arrives - which means I can finally have friends and family over to eat. I am very excited, since it has been quite some time since I have been able to have a proper dinner party. Time to dust off those Gourmet magazines.

Speaking of cooking and all things domestic, my sister and I were helping some friends move into their new house this weekend. The previous owners had been smokers, so she and I went about cleaning fixtures, windows, screens, and the kitchen. One of the guys who was helping with the heavy stuff stopped and said, "Who woulda thought you girls were so domestic?" We love the guy who said it, so we took no offense. I just thought it was an interesting comment. My sister and I both have a very independent way about us and stayed single longer than a lot of our friends (which is amazing, considering we got married at the young age of 23), so I am assuming that those qualities are what give the impression that we lack the ability to be domestic. Who knew taking care of yourself meant not being well equipped to take care of others.

Anyhoo...I need to vaccuum up the death powder in here before I suffocate. Perhaps I will post later about my observations of how people dress in Florida v. Washington, and who makes the more egregious choices.

So there is my post. I never promised excitement.


Currently listening to: Letter Read by Rachel Yamagata
Current Mood: Good. Except for the suffocating...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love having something entertaining and informative to read while i'm opening 50 envelopes. When your blog is updated I have just that. Hope the ants Die. Hope you get cheap tix to Nica. (still jealous) By FL standards, I'm a withered old hag with No Domestic Skills. Sheesh. You'll have to inform us on your FL v. WA observations. Interestingly i've been watching A Lot of "what not to wear" since we got a DVR. :)

amber said...

Ooooo....DVR. I love DVR. I could blog about my love of that one of these days.

Anonymous said...

just a question from Nicaragua...what is a DVR?