Friday, September 23, 2005

That's Love

Warning: The following entry may contain graphic descriptions. Reader discretion is advised.


This morning I took my husband to the dentist, to take care of some terrible tooth pain he has been experiencing lately. The dentist was able to identify the problem, but it will be several days before the pain will subside. So, a prescription of Vicoprofen was given, and off we went.

As the hours passed after the first dose, with no relief for him, I decided to play pharmacist and recommend that he take some Tylenol (acetaminophen) with his next dosage. This goes directly against the instructions given with the drug when you pick it up at the pharmacy. Right after the sticker saying you shouldn't drink with the drug, it specifically says no acetaminophen. That is because Vicoprofen is simply a combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen. Hydrocodone is one of the things that makes up Vicodin. The other is, you guessed it, acetaminophen. Since Vicodin is an addictive narcotic, they don't exactly want you messing with it on your own. The conclusion I came to, however, was that Vicodin is great at killing pain. So let's make some.

Before I continue, I would like to make it clear that the man was in a great deal of pain, and I made him fully aware of the fact that some people (like myself) have unpleasant reactions to Vicodin. Like vomiting. He was willing to take that risk.

So, first dose from my at home pharmacy was successful. As the hours wore by and it was time for the next dose, he complained of being nauseous. I warned him that there was a good chance if he took another dose, he would be revisiting the can of soup he had earlier in a not so pleasant manner. The pain of his tooth won out though, so he took the dose.

Within minutes, he left the room.

And then there was the sound.

It is a horrible sound, one that usually makes you want to move as far away from it as possible. But my wifely instincts kicked in, and I headed for the bathroom, patting him on the back as he kneeled before the toilet. The vomiting was violent, but only lasted a few minutes. In his attempt to be considerate and turn on the bathroom fan (in hopes that I wouldn't hear him and get sick) he was unable to keep the vomit completely contained in one area.

(If you are now thinking, "Ew. That was entirely too much information," all I have to say is a) there was a warning at the beginning and b) I didn't even get into what it smelled and looked like, so stop complaining.)

Here is where the love kicks in. I can't leave the bathroom that way all night, and I can't possibly make the poor guy clean up when he just went through the Vicodin pukes (they aren't fun...if you have never had the misfortune of having them, they control you). So I just finished cleaning the toilet, floor, and wall of my bathroom.

It is amazing how long you can hold your breath when you really need to.

Listening to: The sweet sweet sounds of no more puking
Current Mood: I feel the need to wash my hands again...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww poor Jaycel! I have to say, that does take a lot of love to clean that up. I would run far away from a sound like that. You needed some utility gloves (the thick gloves used in dental offices to disinfect the contaminated areas).
Just some info that I thought I'd pass along now that it's all cleaned up! =\
Let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

=- - - - - - - DDDDDDDDD
Poor Jaycel. Poor Amber.

puke cleanup is the basis for an enduring marriage.

Hugs to you both.
(i'm still giggling, sorry)

amber said...

Good to know on the gloves - you can get me some of those for next time :).


And the laughing is ok...I was imitating the sounds he was making with Lindz this afternoon and we were both cracking up (awww...I'm terrible.)

Anonymous said...

That is the definition of love...hope Jaycel's tooth pain goes away soon. But I'm more concerned about Amber becoming a prescription junkie...just how much do you know about medication? I feel very informed now, I never knew what made up Vicodin or any other of those pills you mentioned. :P love, DEE

amber said...

Dee! I was beginning to worry - I haven't heard from you in awhile.

And have no fear, I am NO prescription junkie, just an information junkie. ::)