Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Musical Admission

I have something to tell you all. Most of you know of my fondness for music of all kinds. My musical collection can sometimes be not only varied, but obscure. So what, you may ask, is currently in my CD player? Some little known band off of some even lesser known label?

No.

Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway.

Yes. Kelly Clarkson. The product of the first American Idol. I am here to say it's ok to like someone who gained their initial fame from this show. Or at least this is what I keep telling myself.

But seriously, before you all start to judge me, this is a really good cd. Do not be misled by the cheesy adult contemporary stylings of the title track Breakaway. There is more to Ms. Clarkson than sappy balladeering. (is that a word??) The second single off of the album, "Since You Been Gone", aside from being grammatically incorrect, has accomplished something very difficult - it's one of the few songs that is on the top of the charts that doesn't make me want to shove a pointy object in my ear. Plus, we all know how I love a good break-up song. And this cd is full of those. As is the case with most quality cd's, the singles that get airplay aren't the best songs of the bunch, and being that I actually like the singles (except Breakaway) that says quite a bit.

Another thing that makes this a must have in the car, is they are the perfect songs to sing along with very loudly. You know you all do it. Driving down the highway, suddenly we all become accomplished musical artists. Since many of these songs are vocally very powerful, they are perfect for singing/screaming along to. Great for de-stressing. (Sidenote: When having an in-car concert, be sure that your phone is locked/closed, so that no accidental dialing can take place. My former roommates had a very long clip of my own personal rendition of "On My Own" from Les Miserables. Not cool. Fortunately, my roommates love me, so it wasn't too tragic. But that kind of material in the wrong hands...I shudder to think.)

So when thinking over your next musical purchase, you may want to check her out. I think you may be pleasantly suprised.

And to those of you continuing to shake your head and cluck your tongues, first of all, stop, cause you look silly, and two, at least I didn't say I had Ashlee Simpson in my cd player.

Current Mood: Chill
Listening to: Cry Me A River by Diana Krall (you were expecting me to be listening to Kelly Clarkson weren't you? Nope. Launchcast in the office - random makes the day go faster.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not clucking my tongue, I like her single Since You Been Gone too! Haven't heard any other songs from her.

Dee

Anonymous said...

Amber My Dear Singing Soulmate! Sadly that recording went away with the death of that old answering machine. Lucky for you we were unable to turn it into a wave file before its demise.

Great Big Hug.

Anonymous said...

The answering machine recording may be gone, but you DO hold the record for most-repeated message of all time in our house! And that's saying something. =)

How much do we love you? Thiiiiiiiiiiisssss Much!

-- Lori