Friday, April 29, 2005

Because It's Fun To Say

In my efforts to lose weight, and still enjoy life, I have been seeking alternatives to foods I generally rely on. Pasta has always had a strong presence in my home as a single person. Pasta is quick and easy to make. It goes good with most things, and can be served hot or cold. It is very kind to your budget.

Unlike many out there who believe that carbs are from the devil, I think there is nothing wrong with them. At least not in moderate amounts. Unfortunately, I tend to enjoy pasta in amounts that are far from moderate.

The major challenge of letting go of my love for pasta is its convenience. Let's face it, pasta doesn't exactly have a strong flavor. It's just a tasty filler. So what could I use that is still quick, easy, and actually has a nice taste?

I thought about brown rice. I actually like brown rice. But I am not so skilled in the art of making rice. I often undercook it. Or burn the bottom. Brown rice seems to elude me further, and takes a decent amount of time to cook.

So I discovered this magical thing called couscous. It is a good source of fiber, and it cooks in 5 minutes. You boil water (a spoonful of olive oil in the water will give it a nice flavor, or you can boil it in a broth of your choice), throw in the couscous, take it off the heat, let it sit for five minutes, and that's it. You're done.

I have been using it instead of white rice with stir fry type dishes and it is really yummy. It just soaks up all the flavors of everything else. The texture is cool too.

This is the latest way in which I plan on trying it (recipe time!)

4 spring onions – finely chopped
5cm (2 inches) cucumber - unpeeled and chopped (I love how it tells me how many cm)
3 medium tomatoes – skinned and chopped
half a red or yellow pepper – deseeded and finely chopped
1 red dessert apple – unpeeled, cored and chopped
25g (1oz) walnuts – chopped
200 g pack (almost 8 oz) feta cheese cut into squares
salt and freshly milled black pepper to season
about 60ml (4 tablespoons) balsalmic vinegar and olive oil mixture
lots o' couscous

Like pasta salad, except without the evil pasta. Yum.

Try couscous. You will like it. Say couscous. You will like it even more.


I should have eaten breakfast this morning. All I can think about is food.

Current Mood: HUNGRY
Listening to: Somebody Told Me by The Killers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like couscous and its fun to say as well. Your recipe sounds good. My only problem is that I want others to cook for me. Its just so much easier to be the taste tester. :P

Dee

Anonymous said...

Couscous also comes in whole wheat version. Look out, more Fiber! good stuff... and here's the reason you love it so much... it's Pasta... just itty bitty pasta, but pasta no less. Gotta love those Moraccans for coming up with microscopic yumminess.

amber said...

But its not evil like pasta is it?!?!?!