Friday, May 27, 2005

Poetry Corner

I did not realize it, but one of my favorite poets from when I was little died this month...in 1999. I didn't know the guy had even died, and wouldn't have known if cnn.com hadn't done a story on him.

I also found out that he used to write and draw for Playboy. I did not know this. I doubt that my mother did.

So for those of you that didn't grow up with Shel Silverstein, here is one of my favorite poems. (Actually, it may not be my favorite, just the one that I still remember by heart.)

There's too many kids in this tub
There's too many elbows to scrub
I just washed a behind that I'm sure wasn't mine
There's too many kids in this tub.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not really my favorite. But it was simple and funny at the time.
If you have never read his stuff, his illustrations are what really made his poems/stories interesting so check him out.
Listening to: Twilight and Shadow by Howard Shore (from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Soundtrack)
Current Mood: Thoughtful. Perhaps pensive? About what? Maybe I will tell you later

No comments: