Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Pop Rocks

My job is pretty dull. We changed some things about the business, which basically took a lot of the tasks that I was doing and transferred them to someone else. So I have very little to do during the day, and the few things I am given to do bore/frustrate me to no end.

Due to this fact, I have been mulling over what I want to do next. Having only been at this job for 5 months, it seems like a premature thought, but I am truly that bored.

So I came up with an idea. The jobs I have enjoyed the most in my life were the ones where I was teaching. I thought about becoming a substitute teacher (since I can't teach for real here unless it is at a private school, and even then, it's a slim chance I will find anything). The unfortunate thing about substitute teachers is that they very seldom have the opportunity to actually teach. They also don't get paid very well.

Then I thought about my old job as a software trainer. It was fun, just challenging enough to keep things interesting, and paid decently. My old company is more or less gone now, and there aren't any other training companies in the area that I would be interested in working for.

So where does that leave me?

That is when the idea struck me of starting my own business. I had thought of it before, but always came up with complications that would make the task more than I want to take on. Renting classroom space, making student manuals, etc... There where too many little things that can add up to a big expense involved.

Until I came up with my big idea. Are you ready?

I am going to start my own training company that only offers deskside training. We (and by we, I mean me) come into an office and spend time with each individual at their own work station teaching them about the software they use as it pertains specifically to their job function. Why is this such a great idea?

If you purchase this kind of training from a training company, it is usually very costly. They consider that consulting time and/or customized training. So they charge you more for it. This is where I would have a niche. For little more than what it costs to send ONE person to a full day class, a company could have me there in their office for the whole day. This would also mean that they wouldn't have to worry about losing a day of work from the employees who want training, since they would only be in training for a small part of the day.

I have a whole advertising strategy in my head, including special promtional deals to get started.

The beauty of this job too, is that in 2 days I could make more than I make in a week. Which means I don't plan on working full time.

Now I just have to figure out when to execute the plan, which would include when to decide to leave this job.

That probably makes me more nervous than taking on a new business.


Listening to: What's On Your Mind by Information Society
Current Mood: Wondering if I should feel bad for spending the first two hours of my work day reading recaps of The Gilmore Girls and ANTM at TWoP

1 comment:

GoGo said...

I vote yes.

Im all for training.

Can i be your advisor?
Take a cut?
We can split 50/50.