Friday, March 11, 2005

Smells Like Teen Spirit

I bought a box of Mentos just a little bit ago while running errands for the office. I haven't had them in a very long time - I don't think I was even aware that they came in a box now. I was accustomed to the roll form, similar to a pack of lifesavers, only bigger.

I popped a pink one in my mouth (to get get rid of the taste from an orange one I had just consumed) and a funny feeling came over me. I started thinking about the first time I was exposed to programming. I was in a summer program just before I entered 6th grade. We learned how to do BASIC programming, and created all sorts of simple games and pictures. I loved that summer. Why did I suddenly start thinking about something that happened 15 years ago? Whenever we would have our break during the day, one of my friends and I would go down to the vending machine and get a pack of Mentos for 40 cents. And pink was always my favorite.

Isn't it strange how a memory can be triggered so strongly by a taste? Or even a smell or sound?

Like everytime I hear a song from Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill I think about the Physics Olympics in high school. I was in the PastaMobile event. Our little car made of lasagna and ziti and such did not fare well. It crashed at the bottom of the ramp. But we spent the whole rest of the day hanging out on a college campus and missing class, so it was a happy time.

Or everytime I smell Curve I think of the what it felt like to be in love for the first time in my life. And what it was like to have my heart broken.

Or everytime I hear Billy Joel sing "So It Goes" I think of playing video Clue and Frogger at my cousins' house in Connecticut, and thinking that was the coolest house in the world.

I would love to test someone like that. Expose them to a variety of flavors, sounds, and scents in the course of a day and see how many different things they remember from their past. It would probably be a fairly useless test, but I think it would be interesting.

Do any of you have memories that are triggered by certain senses?

2 comments:

amber said...

This is a test

Anonymous said...

Acutally that totally is understandable. I forget where I read but scientists verify that your sense of smell has a relation to memories. It happens to me all the time. My dad also talks about everytime he smells green peppers & onions sauteeing it reminds him of his childhood in NJ at the boardwalk. I'll be your victim if you want...just as long as I get out of work for it :)

Dee